Celebrate December with the arts
Celebrate December with Austin Area Arts. We are offering a month jam-packed with seven art classes, seven live entertainment opportunities and three classic holiday movies. Slim your screen time and make a memory with your loved ones through this holiday-themed arts programming.
December classes start when Amarama Art returns to teach Needle Felted Gnomes on Wednesday, Dec. 4. On Saturday, Dec. 7, kids ages 5-10 wil explore printing and pattern making with Rachel Obranovich at $5 Kids Studio. Create a hand-embroidered gift for someone special — or yourself — at Embroidery Class “Elfonso” with Hedra Bishop at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 7. Join Katie Stromlund for a class welcoming to beginners all the way up to experts: Evergreen Landscape Painting at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 11.
$5 Kids Studio on Dec. 14 is a Reindeer Painting on canvas (sold out) with Krystal Lennie. That same day, drop in for a free Family Art Studio from 1-3 p.m. Get inspired by materials provided and create something togehter.
Create your own Polymer Clay Nativity set with Katie Hunerdosse at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 14. You’ll make clay figurines that you can bake in your own oven at home to harden them. Finally, $5 Kids Studio: Holiday Ornaments (clay) takes place on Saturday, Dec. 21, with Laura Brandenburg.
Find the holiday music you love most among the seven live entertainment options presented at the Historic Paramount Theatre and the Austin ArtWorks Center this month, which kicks off with Northwestern Singers and Riverland College Choir presenting A CommUNITYChristmas on Friday, Dec. 6. Join us at the Paramount for Merry Tuba Christmas, free community brass celebration on Saturday, Dec. 7. A collection of Christmas and Advent music is the focus with And Heaven and Nature Sing with Tony Alonso and the Austinaires on Sunday, Dec. 8. Lorie Line is here celebrating her 30th year on tour on Tuesday, Dec. 10.
A more intimate setting at the Austin ArtWorks Center is the right setting for the Songwriters Showcase at 6 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 13. Featured song writers are Mary Sullivan, Scott Jasmin, Josh Whalen, Rick Mcalister and Thomas Estrem. Enjoy Minnesota’s modern old-world sound at SimpleGifts with Billy McLaughlin on Sunday, Dec. 15. You won’t want to miss local openers Morgan Dickman & Friends at the SimpleGifts show. Finally, Matchbox Childrens’ Theatre presents “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 20-22.
Classic movies come to life on the big screen in December at the Paramount Theatre. Join us for “Gremlins” on Dec. 4, “The Polar Express” on Dec. 11 and “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” on Dec. 18. Shows start at 3 and 7:30 p.m. Purchase tickets at concession stand. No advance ticket sales.
Coming soon at the Paramount
- Dec. 4: “Gremlins,” 3 and 7:30 p.m.•Dec. 6: Northwestern Singers & Riverland College Choir present A CommUNITYChristmas
- Dec. 7:Tuba Christmas
- Dec. 8: And Heaven and Nature Sing: Tony Alonso and the Austinaires
- Dec. 10: Lorie Line
- Dec. 11: “The Polar Express”, 3 and 7:30 p.m.
- Dec. 15: SimpleGifts with Billy McLaughlin and Morgan Dickman & Friends
- Dec. 18: “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” at 3 and 7:30 p.m.
- Dec. 20-22: Matchbox Childrens’ Theatre presents “The Best Christmas Pageant.”
Coming Soon at the Austin ArtWorks Center
- Dec. 4: Felted Gnomes with Amarama Art, 6 p.m.
- Dec. 7: $5 Kids Studio: Patterns & Prints, 10:30 a.m.
- Dec. 7: Embroidery Class “Elfonso” with Hedra Bishop, 1 p.m.
- Dec. 11: Evergreen Landscape Painting with Katie Stromlund, 6 p.m.
- Dec. 13: Songwriters Showcase, 6 p.m.
- Dec. 14: Family Art Studio, 1-3 p.m.
- Dec. 14: Polymer Clay Nativity with Katie Hunerdosse, 2 p.m.
- Dec. 21: $5 Kids Studio: Holiday Ornaments (clay), 10:30 a.m.
More information is available at austinareaarts.org.